Archive For The “News and Technology” Category
Morph3D has announced Artist Tools to create clothing, hair, and props for their figure system. The tools are free to use until June 2017, when a TBA subscription fee kicks in. A number of licensing restrictions also apply, including a share of any in-app purchases where the tools would be used to create add-on game content.
Read full user agreement here
The Morph Character System (MCS) has already impressed the game, application, and VR world by rolling out the ability to create realistic custom avatars. That means game designers can build or even let their players build their own unique, high quality characters. It is this very flexibility that has platforms like High Fidelity and VR Chat jumping on board.
At the heart of that value proposition this is the ability to have add-on content that will change and fit to any character type or shape.
Now, with the launch of Morph 3D’s Artist Tools game designers can take characters even further by designing their own content to be used with MCS. This allows an artist to make content that will change dynamically and work for a huge variety of characters and applications. Additionally, it means that artists will be able to work with Morph 3D to sell their work to the growing number of app and game developers also using MCS.
Occipital, maker of the Structure Sensor 3D scanner for iPhone and iPads, has announced a headset designed to mount their infra-red depth scanner and an iPhone running their Bridge Engine software to combine realtime camera data and room-scale motion-tracking with virtual reality environments.
iPhones are generally viewed as lagging behind the VR trend, with no official VR support from Apple, slower hardware and relatively lower-density screens. However Bridge promises to leapfrog over the rest of mobile VR with it’s “6 Degrees-of-Freedom” positional tracking (mobile-based VR typically only provides rotational tracking), which allows the wearer to move freely around the room untethered to a more powerful desktop computer.
Bridge is expected in March of 2017, and comes with or without the Structure Sensor, in case you already own one.
TopoGun is a stand-alone resurfacing, and maps baking application. The resurfacing functions in TopoGun will help you modify and/or recreate the edgeflow of your digital 3D models. The maps baking functions, will help you bake various types of texture maps from your high resolution 3D models and then allow you to apply them to your newly created optimized meshes. These texture maps contain information that will help you recover the appearance and features of the original high resolution mesh.
TopoGun is a standalone application available for Windows, OS X, and Linux operating systems. TopoGun licenses are cross-platform and after buying one, TopoGun can be installed on any of these operating systems. Topogun is $100
Neoglyphic Entertainment Launches NeoFur for Unity: 20% Launch Sale for December 2016.
The award-winning NeoFur plugin to create dynamic, realistic fur and fuzzy surfaces for console, PC, cinematic, mobile and VR/AR now available to Unity developers. Previously available only on Unreal Engine 4 and in closed beta for Unity, NeoFur is an easy-to-use, in-editor tool that simplifies the creative process for developers. The tool allows authoring of high quality, fully dynamic fur (or short fibers) in real-time. NeoFur enables developers to tackle the creation of often challenging furry and fibrous characters, objects, and soft textures at an authenticity level that has never been achieved in a real-time engine.
Features available now in Unity and Unreal:
• Simple: Use an authored morph target or blendshape to control the “extents” of your shells—as simple as modeling the “shape” you want your fur to take.
• Traditional: Use authored Splines from traditional hair and fur authoring solutions to drive shell growth.
• Physics can be simulated via Compute Shader or a Software mode
• Physics parameters such as gravity, stiffness, etc. are controllable by the user
• Physics support for Engine—specific Wind and Radial forces
• Our shells can both receive and cast dynamic shadows
• Multiple methods for base coloring via Texture mapping, Root-to-tip color values, Gradient map sampling, and more.
• Rim lighting, Ambient Occlusion, Scattering, and advanced Specular controls.
• Ability to add random variance to per-strand scattering, per-strand tangents for specular breakup, etc.
Additional features available in NeoFur 2.0 for Unreal only:
• Motion blur applies accurately to our shell solution thanks to a custom solution that helps feed proper velocity values into each vertex.
• Deferred Anisotropic shading for hair and fur gives beautiful specular highlights, per – strand light scattering, color propagation and more.
• The tangents of our shell vertices are updated in real-time to feed into the anisotropic direction in the shader – meaning accurate directional highlights with no extra work.
• A procedural poisson-packing algorithm pre-calculates the position of every strand.
• Novel techniques allow driving Color, Density, Blending and Growth at a Per-strand level.
• No strands are partially colored
• Density controls actually remove individual strands and make a sparse density of strands
• Color blending at a per-strand level means we can avoid soft fades, and instead get strand colors that peppers and gradiate into each other properly.
• Our system allows for two layers of fur coats, with no extra geometry or fill rate
• Both the Undercoat and Overcoat (guard hairs) have individual controls for Scale, Coloring, scattering, roughness, density, and more. This allows for more accurate modeling of realistic animal features.
PERSONAL $19 (Unity or Unreal)
INDIE $99 (Unity or Unreal)
PRO $349 (Unreal)
Wrap3 changes the way you process 3D-scan data. When working with a large set of similar objects like human scans Wrap makes it possible to take an existing basemesh and non-rigidly fit it to each and every scan.
It also provides a set of very useful scan processing tools like decimation, mesh filtering, texture projection and many more. Thanks to node-graph architecture once you’ve processed a single scan you can apply the same recipe to an unlimited number of other scans.
Fast Character Creation
Wrap lets you convert a series of 3D-scans of actors to production ready characters sharing the same topology and texture coordinates
Given a series of 3D-scans of an actor’s facial expressions Wrap is used to generate a set of morph-targets for further animation
Wrapping a known topology around a full-body scan is a starting point to many autorigging tools
Wrap is widely used by virtual fitting room vendors. Fitting a body model with known topology makes it easy to adjust its shape, take measurements and a perform cloth simulation
Wrap3 is $375 for Win64 and Linux64
Rokoko has announced limited pre-orders for the Smartsuit Pro, a 19-sensor athletic suit for wireless motion capture. The suit was developed under a kickstarter campaign as SALTO.
“An entire motion capture studio in one wireless bodysuit
that is accessible and intuitive to everybody.”
Less than 150 suits are available for an invite-only early promotion, with shipping promised for February 20, 2017. Prices have not officially been announced, but expect in the range of US$2500. A Smartglove is also is in development.
- Full body textile suit
- Body sensors
- Customized cables
- Suit cover
- Smartsuit Studio (Pro License)
- Native plugins: MotionBuilder, Unreal and Unity
The Smartsuit Studio software allows real-time visualization of your data. You can track your movements and modify them in realtime or record them for later use. You’ll be a creator in the original sense of the word.
Export data to FBX and BVH and use anywhere
Use your exact body measures
See diagnostics for the suits in use
Up to 5 actors at the same time