Unity Multipurpose Avatar System, or UMA for short, is a free character creation and runtime modification system. UMA was designed with flexibility in mind, so although it’s primary purpose is for working with humanoid characters, its systems can be adapted to work with any model.
Download UMA from Github
Reallusion’s update to Character Creator promises professional features in a new stand-alone app. Weight-painting, mesh-merging, decimation and texture-atlas are just a few of the announced features.
Perhaps the most anticipated announcement is the price, which Reallusion has announced at a very unlikely $527 which includes the Pipeline plugin to escape Reallusion’s iClone ecosystem, and export licenses for the initial figure content. Naturally at Reallusion that is just the ticket price as routine discounts will almost always bring the price significantly lower.
Additional fees for animations and add-on content packs are implied, but more will be revealed when the software is released in September. WINDOWS ONLY
Inky the stand-alone editor for writing interactive Ink stories gets some polish that adds a few bells and whistles to the web exporter, including a tag for inserting images, clearing the screen, restarting the story, and a dark theme.
A shiny rewrite of the “Getting Started” tutorial shows off the new export-for-web features and aims to get budding interactive writers in shipshape for the upcoming Ink Jam 2018 on itch.io August 30th – September 3rd.
The Ink Unity Integration plugin was updated on July 30th, bringing both up-to-date with Ink 0.8.2.
An unofficial port of the Ink Integration Plugin for Unreal is on Github. Further digging will find Python and a few other ports.
Bforartists stands for Be For Artists. A reminder to develop for the user, not the programmer.
Bforartists 1.0 is a fork of the open source 3d software Blender, with the full feature set of Blender 2.8 being represented by icons and a GUI interface, including some 90-odd commands that were previously key-stroke only.
Other interface quirks of Blender – like right-click to select and 4-finger keystrokes, are now more accessible to the casual user and indie artist who must be a jack of all trades.
BforArtist is available for Windows and osX (unbuilt Unix version is available on github)
Auto-Rig Pro is a set of tools to rig characters, retarget animations, and provide Fbx export for Unity and Unreal Engine.
- Automatic bone placement solver based on mesh recognition for bipeds characters. Asymmetrical models supported.
- Edit Reference Bones feature to modify the rig anytime you want. No need to redo everything if a bone is not where you want it to be.
- Modular: only use what you need. Choose the number of fingers, toes, add optional tail, ears, breasts. Duplicate or remove limbs to rig multi-peds creatures.
- Fingers auto-rotation option: bend when scaling the first phalange
- Easy controller shape edition
- Bone picker: Can be turned on/off, import/export presets. Customizable.
- Colors customization
- Cartoon compliant: Stretchy spine, legs, arms…
- IK-FK snap with autokey working, and snaps properly when unlocking all the leg/forearm rotation axis
- IK-FK controllers auto hide
- Hybrid IK pole / IK arrow vector
- Knees and elbows pinning
- Head rotation locked or free
- Bend all fingers in one click (fingers grasp), fist pre-defined pose, auto rotation of fingers phalanges from scale
- IK/FK eyes
- Auto-eyelid rotation
- Multiple Child-Of constraints support for the IK hands and feet to change their parent space any time (e.g. if the character is driving a car, hands on the wheel, then grab the car door)
- Complete set of secondary controllers for fine pose sculpt
- Advanced facial setup with automated placement
- Improved skinning based on Blender’s heatmaps. Auto-splitting of multiple elements. Compliant with the Voxel Heat Diffuse Skinning addon.
- Shape keys drivers creation tool
- Game engines support, FBX: Unity – Unreal Engine. Generic, Humanoid and Universal rig type
- Bone remapper to retarget any armature action to another one, with different bone names and bone orientations. IK support. BVH, FBX files compliant, e.g. Mixamo animations.
- Compliant with X-Muscle System for realistic muscles simulation
Auto Rig Pro