Oscar Lau’s HairTG creates textures for hair cards with the standard PBR maps, but also creates startlingly realistic 2D hair.
Hair Strand Designer is a comprehensive tool for creating hair card textures. Features include individual map exports, strand count, length, and offset adjustments for each card-set.
Available as a stand-alone, or bundled with Unity or Unreal shaders.
- ability to generate and interactively comb hair ribbons based on blender particle hairs (since 1.8 version)
- generating hair ribbons from mesh surfaces
- ability to uv unwrap and preview textures on hair curve ribbons
- easy and convenient switching back and forth between curve ribbons and mesh mesh, while preserving uv’s
- ability to adjust ribbons radius profile over strand length to taper the ribbons shape
- ability to convert Grease Pencil strokes to Particle Hair
- ability to convert Curves to Particle Hair
- ability to generate Curves/Ribbons from Particle Hair
- Randomizing ribbons UV (you can draw multiple uv boxes, that will be randomly picked for each ribbon strand).
- Powerful Curve Resampling – increase, decrease curve/ribbon points amount, while preserving it’s tilt and radius.
- Generating vertex color and weights gradients for ribbons.
Hair Tool is a plugin for creating animated human hair. To set it up you need a hair geometry mesh, and a few minutes to configure. Hair consist of nearly 20000 individual stands. Up to 500 of them are simulated with a physics engine, others are tesselated and interpolated.
Physics are implemented with a custom engine based on Verlet integration, and executed on GPU (Compute Shader). You can configure elasticy, gravity, and curveness in editor. Colliders can be added to bones so it interacts with body a realistically. Unity WindZone component is supported.
Lighting is based on Kajiya-Kay reflection model. You can configure color and specular facor in editor.
Shadows are implemented as a Unity shadow caster pass. Shadow receiving will be added with the next update.
Editor is Blender. 3dmax support will be added in next build.
The artists behind Unreal’s Paragon discuss character and hair techniques in-depth.
Continue reading “Tech & Techniques Behind Creating the Characters for Paragon”